Okay so maybe I didn’t have a birthday bash, per se, but yesterday WAS my birthday, which is always fun. Most importantly, it was fun and I also still got in my steps and stayed within my calories! 🙂
Now, I’ll be honest that the calories I ate were not the healthiest. In one day I managed to have:
- Pizza (Papa Johns, not the healthier homemade pizzas I’ve been making)
- A bowl of ice cream
- A cupcake
- A brownie
Yeah I know, it’s not great. But it’s also not quite as bad as it sounds. Here’s why:
- I had a smaller portion of pizza than I’ve always had in the past.
- I had a small, basic ice cream without a lot of frills.
- The cupcake was mini.
- The brownie was also small (although still somehow a whopping 440 calories).
Despite all that, I did stay within my calories because I also happened to get a ton of steps in – about 18,000. From a food perspective, I’d also like to point out that there are a LOT of “unhealthy food” opportunities I’ve passed up recently:
- I’ve passed up cookies at my office 3 (yes, that’s 3) big cookies. Did you know the average cookie you get from places like Einstein Bros and Chick-Fil-A are about 370 calories each?!
- I celebrated my birthday with family this past weekend and not only are healthy but had only a tiny smidgen of birthday cake.
- We’re celebrating some more this weekend and I’ve made a point of making sure those celebrations revolve around physical activity – like mountain biking – instead of unhealthy food.
Overall, I’m feeling really good about my birthday. This is the time of year that’s normally riddled with with celebrations (aka unhealthy food). As such, I also normally fall off track here. But yesterday wasn’t about that. Yesterday was about letting loose within the parameters I’ve given myself. I’m not concerned about falling off track with the weekend because I’m already thinking of those days like every other day – they’re just entirely what I want because it’s my birthday! 🙂